Climate change is considered by many to be the challenge of the 21st century. The urgency and severity of this challenge, call for integrated ways of looking at responses to reduce the risks associated with environmental and social stressors, and ensure a secure future for humans and ecosystems.
Adapting to climate change requires a coordinated and synergistic approach from a diverse range of actors across sectors, as well as questioning assumptions about the drivers of risk, vulnerability and environmental change.
A cooperative approach is allowing to improve learning and knowledge exchange in order to deliver optimal solutions. Interaction and collaboration with the disaster risk reduction (DRR) community, is a critical element in improving climate change adaptation (CCA), as the communities share similar goals and activities. Bringing the two groups together is particularly important in relation to the goals and targets of the three major international agreements: Paris, Sendai Framework for DRR and the Sustainable Development Goals, and along the European Green Deal.
ECCA is the main event in Europe dedicated to adaptation to climate change. The 2021 edition will be a virtual event, combining a series of webinars on pressing climate change adaptation challenges from 25 May to 10 June that will feed into a high-level conference on Tuesday 22 June.
Participants will include researchers and adaptation experts, policy-makers, local authorities, practitioners in climate risks management, the private sector with a focus on businesses already engaged with and taking action on climate risk, investors, NGOs, citizens organisations, youth and education organisations, community groups engaged in adaptation, communicators and all interested individuals.
Attendees will have the opportunity to actively participate in the conference in many different ways and to network with other participants in the virtual marketplace, including the possibility to book 1-on-1 meetings.
- 25 May 2021 Financing climate action: from climate proofing investments to mobilising funds
- 26 May 2021 Climate change and health: promoting wellbeing through climate action
- 27 May 2021 Nature as a solution for resilience, mitigation and sustainable development
- 31 May 2021 360° view of climate impacts: experiencing the future to plan adaptation
- 1 June 2021 Coping with sea level rise: strategies for coastal and island communities
- 7 June 2021 Climate action exchange: sharing knowledge and experience of what works and does not yet work across the EU
- 8 June 2021 At your service: climate knowledge and information as enablers of climate action
- 9 June 2021 Acting locally: citizen engagement and community mobilisation
- 10 June 2021 Building back better: COVID recovery, resilience building and societal transformation