Climate impacts in one location that propagate to other locations through trade and value chains, development and security policies, and financial systems, may have disrupting effects similar to the COVID-19 pandemic and the war on Ukraine. These effects are not easily represented in traditional analysis frameworks and need to be embedded in the wider context of social vulnerability and climate change.
The conference aims to bring together scientists across disciplines that work on approaches to better understand and respond/adapt to cross-border climate impacts and risks. The conference also seeks to identify knowledge gaps and directions for future research. Research presented in the conference will highlight what needs arise from a consideration of cross-border climate impacts, how to design research that is actionable for decision-making or how to improve the monitoring of risks.
- Johan Rockström, Director at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research & Professor in Earth System Science at the University of Potsdam
- Nicola Ranger, leads the Resilience and International Development Programme of the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford
- Gabriel Felbermayr, Director of the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) in Vienna and university Professor at the Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU)
- Yasuko Kameyama, Professor at the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, University of Tokyo
- Marc Zebisch, Head of the Centre for Climate Change and Transformation at Eurarc
- Dhanasree Jayaram, Assistant Professor at the Department of Geopolitics and International Relations, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Karnataka, India
The conference will take place at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. Selected sessions will be available online as well.
More information can be found on the conference homepage.
Sign up to receive updates and news about the conference.
Timeline of important dates
- Abstract submission and registration opens 28.02.2023
- Abstract submission closes 10.05.2023
- Notification of abstract approval/ contributions 31.05.2023
- Registration closes 31.07.2023